Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Our Gifts


Just minutes after the Polar Express set sail on it's epic road trip, I myself set sail for some Black Friday shopping.

You need to know the following things about me:

1. I have a serious need to make a detailed list.

2. I memorize sales papers. Study them.

3. My wrapping paper must match my tree.

4. Every single purchase is thought through to the ends of the earth.

5. I stay up all night shopping, for the sake of the case.

6. I only like white lights. ONLY white lights.
(I think I sound like Rapunzel here, and probably just as dramatic.)

7. My list must fit into my budget. Must. All of it.

Except, this year...

I slept late. Loaded my kids onto the Party Bus. Kissed my toddler good-bye. Scooped up my Cherie-Cherie from her house. I never once saw a sales paper. Not. A. Single. One. My wrapping paper is all mis-matched. I shopped with a simple list, but really just more of a guideline. I bought two items spontaneously without a care in the world. I ran out of money before I ran out of list, and I was perfectly okay with that. There are white lights in my house, and colored lights beside them, and more rainbow brights on the front of my house. I didn't buy one single thing for anyone other than my kids on Black Friday and only one of those was for my girl.
(Hello Kitty Christmas PJ's? Yes, please!)
And, as if it couldn't get any more out of hand, the next day I made a splurge purchase on a fancy toothbrush set of the Jake and the Neverland Pirate variety for my girl- instead of the Princess set.

I. Know.

The thing is, Christmas isn't really about my sassy list of rules I live by. It isn't about gifts, or Santa, or what colors the lights shine at my house or yours. God doesn't give a flying flip about my wrapping paper, but He is interested in my gifts.

For us, foster care is our calling right now. It is our gift back to God. As much as we'd love to get this adoption done and move on to the next thing, His timing is more important than ours. We are called for such a time as this.

So, for now, our gifts to Him look a lot like taking care of a little pirate-loving girl. It's a dozen trips to the mall, in hopes that maybe next time we'll actually make it into Santa's lap. It's late nights and early mornings, kissing ouchies and having tea parties. It's praying for this little soul because it's our job- from God.

So, I've chilled the heck out, and I like it.

Want to join me?

Merry Christmas!

God is good, all the time!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I am trying to get things done before December so I can just enjoy what this season is really all about. Here's to hoping it works. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've "chilled the heck out," too... and i like it... only problem is that i may have chilled too much! not motivated to do any planning or shopping or... may need to defrost (and this from someone who use to have things done in Oct.).

    ReplyDelete

My small town friends have this to say...